- Prep time: 2 hours and 30 minutes
- Cook time: 30 minutes
- 1 package of active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon of granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 3 cups of bread flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1/4 pound piece of prosciutto
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1/8 of a pound piece of mild provolone
- 1 cup of hot water
- In a medium size, bowl put 1 cup of hot water, the yeast, and the sugar and mix for about two minutes and then let it stand for ten minutes you will start to see some bubbles.
- Than in a large baking pan place a 1/4 cup of flour and spread all over the pan, than add 2 and 1/2 cups of the flour to the yeast mix,and add also 1 tablespoon of the oil,the salt, and the pepper also to the mix, than mix for 1 minute, than the place of the flowered baking pan, i use the baking pan instead of the just counter surface only because its easy to clean, than knead the dough for 10 minutes, which you will see the dough get smooth.
- Than grab a large bowl and take 1/2 tablespoon of butter and grease the bowl, then take the dough, roll it like a softball and place it into the bowl rolling it a couple of times so the butter gets on the dough, than cover the dough, I use wax paper to cover but you can use whatever you like, place in a warm area and let it rise, it takes about 1 hour before it doubles.
- Then take a large baking pan and grease with 1/2 tablespoon of butter and place to the side, then uncover the dough and punch it down. Then take another baking pan and place a 1/4 cup of flour on it and place the dough on the floured pan and knead for two minutes than flatten it into a 9 by 15-inch rectangle shape.
- Than grab the Prosciutto and provolone and cut it up to small dice pieces and evenly place it all over the dough you just formed, then fold the dough to enclose the provolone and prosciutto, fold it a couple of times, Than cut the dough in half and roll each piece to form a 16 to 20 inch rope, than loosely twist the 2 ropes together, than on the greased baking pan, place the dough in the pan and form them into a circle, and tuck the ends under the adjoining piece. Then cover with wax paper loosely until it rises which is about an hour.
- Then preheat oven to 400 degrees, then place the other tablespoon of oil in a shot glass and take a brush and lightly brush the surface of the dough with the remaining oil, then place in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Then take out and let sit for five minutes and cut and serve your traditional Prosciutto Bread and enjoy, It does serve 4-6 but I can probably eat one by myself.
If you have any doubt regarding the recipe, feel free to contact us here.